If I could give my daughter three things, it would be the confidence to always know her self worth, the strength to chase her dreams and the ability to know how truly, deeply loved she is
I kept thinking what sort of childhood memories I have an to be honest I do not remember much about presents. I know I had toys I was playing with but I can’t actually say when I received them or from who.
I clearly remember though, those amazing nights when I was allowed to stay up late and watch my mum make all sorts of our traditional food around Christmas or Easter, I remember my grandfather teaching me how to read and write, my auntie and uncle taking care of me and guiding me into life.
With this in mind, here are some of the most important gifts you can gift your children.
- LOVE – tell them you love them every day, give them cuddles and kiss them as much as you can. They will remember your arms around them and how safe they felt.
- ENCOURAGEMENT – choose your words carefully as they have incredible power of creation and destruction as well. Speak positively and encourage your child. Don’t restrict them and don’t put them down.
- BEAUTY – help them find the beauty in everything, help them discover that beauty lies in everything. You just need to see it
- GENEROSITY – be generous and make sure you teach your child the same. Show them the right path and they will follow.
- HONESTY/INTEGRITY – teach them to be honest with themselves and everyone around. Children who learn the value of honesty will grow to become honest adults and honest adults who deal truthfully with others tend to feel better about themselves, enjoy their lives more, and sleep better at night
- IMAGINATION – let their imagination run wild, encourage it, play pretend and get into their world, cook together, fly and jump and do all kids things. We all know that things change with speed light. And the people with imagination are the ones not just living it, they are creating it.
- PRIDE – celebrate their little accomplishments for they will strive and they will feel the joy of success.
- UNIQUENESS – let them be who they are. Don’t judge the wellies they wear today or the choices they make.
- OPTIMISM – allow them to realise that optimists change the world, let them dream and see the world in a beautiful light
- KNOWLEDGE – allow them to be curious about everything. Answer their questions, introduce them to books and read as much as you can to them and with them. Ask questions about it and let them develop their mind. Knowledge is power
- DISCIPLINE – Discipline should not be avoided or withheld. Instead, it should be consistent and positive. Children learn everything including rules and behaviours. They test your limits and if you don’t give a good example they will grow with wrong morals. Show them how to be tidy and how to behave.
- CURIOSITY – do not dismiss them. Let them ask why, what, when, who, why not and all questions in the world. Don’t ever tell them to stop asking questions. They will close off to the world, they will grow lacking determination and ambition.
These and many more are gifts that you can offer but never buy. They are priceless and help shape your child into a beautiful human being. One who will always strive to be better not forgetting the basic values of compassion, affection, love, integrity and passion.